2.05.2008

Audrey continued...

Our little puppy died on Monday morning. She was a sweet little thing with a fiery spirit and the cutest little face you could imagine on a dog. She was loved and will be missed.

Now, the word of warning to anyone considering adopting a pet from a shelter - be warned that puppies, especially black and tan breeds, are very susceptible to Parvo. The Parvo virus is what killed our little dog and is not uncommon in shelter puppies. It is not transmittable to humans, however it is a terrible thing for a puppy. It doesn't really affect adult dogs. What the virus does is prevent the stomach and intestines (the rapidly dividing and growing cells) from absorbing nutrients and liquid. It normally takes 7-10 days from the exposure to show symptoms. As our puppy died 5 days after got her from the shelter, this means that she contracted it there. The virus is highly contagious to puppies and is not killed by sprays like Lysol. Only a bleach solution will kill it. If you decide to adopt from a shelter, make sure you take it to the vet and get it tested for everything. It will save your family from a bunch of heart ache. For more information about this virus, go to this link http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

2 comments:

C-Soup'rs said...

I'm so sorry about this you guys. It just makes me sick because you were getting attached. And I thought the puppy was so cute! I don't know what else to say but sorry.

Camille

Kevin and Sara Laub said...

It's such a sad story! At least she was loved like she should have been before she died. You guys did a great job of that!